THE ROLE OF THE HUMAN RESOURCE SECTION
The Human Resource Section is responsible for delivering a full range of HR services to provide efficient and effective service to clients in an organization that is diverse and unique. These core services/functions will include but are not limited to:
· Employee and Industrial Relations – responding to employee concerns and complaints; lending support in the disciplinary and grievance process; representing the Ministry at negotiations, JCC (Joint Consultative Committee) and CCC (Combined Consultative Committee) meetings; trouble shooting and providing advice to Principals, Management and staff across the Ministry/Department of Education in order to avoid, if possible, larger employee relations problems.
· Employment Services – interpreting and administering employment law, statutory requirements, Collective Bargaining Agreements (BUT, ASP, BPSU, BIU), Conditions of Employment and Code of Conduct (CECC) and policies and procedures to ensure compliance; providing advice and guidance to all staff on the above.
· Recruitment and Selection – actively involved in the recruitment and selection of all staff employed by the Ministry/Department of Education ensuring best practices are adhered to and followed.
· Performance Management – analyzing performance appraisals, identifying problems and recommending solutions; monitors the Civil Service performance appraisal process and providing training to Civil Servants as necessary.
· Training & Development – assessing training needs of Civil Servants and arranging and/or providing training as necessary.
· Scholarships and Events – management of Sabbatical and Teacher Training Awards, Long Service Awards, New Teacher Orientation, Career Fair, etc.
· Employee Administration – ensuring the completion and administration of all paperwork required to substantiate the employment rights and privileges of all staff members within the Ministry/Department of Education.
· Data Reporting – managing Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS) to ensure the maintenance of effective databases relating to vacancy and applicant tracking, absenteeism reporting and tracking, substitute teacher assignments, etc.
Cheryl Burrows, HR Manager